Friday, September 28, 2012
Avila Beach, San Luis Obispo Bay
Much has happened since the last posting and not all of it good. Milagro has made a little progress with her southing but not as much as she might have. Let me fill you in:
Michael is currently anchored in San Luis Obispo Bay just off the beach at Avila just North of Pismo Beach (N35,10.50′ W120,44.27′). I say “Michael” because Judy abandoned ship at Pebble Beach on the 22nd.
We left Capitola on Thursday, Sep 20 bound for the anchorage at Stillwater Cove in Carmel Bay – you know, the scenic bat at the Pebble Beach golf course. On the way the seas were fairly large and coming directly at our starboard beam. Judy was returning to the cockpit from below and had reached the top of the companionway stairs. She let loose of her grip with her left (uphill) hand to take that last step into the cockpit when the boat was rolled pretty hard to port by one of the larger beam waves. The motion put her off balance spinning her around then tossing her off of the stairs onto the cabin floor. This from a height of about 3 1/2′. She landed squarely on her back with the impact occurring mostly about the bottom of her shoulder blades. The wind was knocked entirely out of her too, which she REALLY didn’t like!
After getting the boat secured at Stillwater Cove we got her to an urgent care facility in Monterey. Through exams and X-rays they determined that nothing appeared to be broken but that she had pulled or wrenched something in her lower back and would have significant bruising around the impact area. Later review of the X-rays by a radiologist revealed she may also have a possible crack to T12 vertebra. She was going to be very sore girl for quite a long time.
After the second day on the boat she was having such a hard time with pain management, which the constant motion was making even harder, that we evacuated her to the home of a friend in San Jose on the 22nd.
I remained with the boat at Stillwater Cove until Monday (September 24th) when friends with extra crew passed through on their way South. They dropped off two folks to crew with me for the next leg to San Luis Obispo Bay. After an overnight sail, we reached Port San Luis the following day and returned the loaner crew to their own vessel.
Judy’s condition is improved but not nearly as much as she would like and she is certainly not “recovered” yet. She flew to PHX today where she plans to stay a few days with our son’s family. If she is recovered enough by Monday, October 1st, she hopes to return to Milagro then.
If she’s not up to it by Monday then, well, I guess we’ll just make a new plan.
In the meantime, the anchorage here offers good holding with no fees. Nearby there are all of the necessary services for an extended stay like, laundry, restaurants, markets, etc. Friends of ours (Rich and Lori Boren) live aboard their boat Third Day here and have already been a source of help and support.