Progress update

After, uh, how many days is it now? I have lost track.

Many, I know that much, but just how many I would have to consult a calendar to know. Milagro remains at anchor in San Luis Obispo Bay just off of Avila Beach. And a very nice place by the way.

No, Judy is not recovered yet.

After almost a week of convalescing in Phoenix at Chip’s house Judy did not feel the pain medications were doing any good at all and trooped off to consult a local doctor, an Orthopedic specializing in spines. Following examination and x-rays on Thursday, Oct 4th, he was appalled that the Monterey medicos had allowed her to leave with no more treatment than a handful of vicodin and instructions to take it easy for a while. The new diagnoses was of a genuine fracture of T12 vertebra, much worse than Monterey’s diagnoses of a possible crack to that vertebra but one that might even be an old injury.

On Friday morning she had an MRI and the images were delivered to the Doctor. She was hoping for an immediate review but the current schedule has her back to see him for review and planning on Thursday, Oct 11 then a procedure to stabilize the fractured bone on Oct 18. She remains hopeful that these things get moved up (like, right now would be fine, thank you very much) as she is more than ready for the procedure and the pain relief that it is supposed to bring her.

Meanwhile, back at the boat the question of when she might be able to return and whether or not to wait for her or move the boat further south seems to be clearer now. I am working several possibilities for someone to accompany me from here to San Diego. The exact details remain to be settled but I expect Milagro will resume her journey sometime this coming week, maybe as early as Tuesday, Oct 9th, but possibly as late as Thursday or Friday, Oct 11th or 12th.

The pace of that passage will be driven mostly by the amount of time available to my crew. For the sake of their schedule it could easily be a nonstop sprint, though I could wish for time to make a stop or two along the way. Either way I will be happy to have the help and to be getting things moving forward. The next day or two should bring that more clearly into focus.

Categories: Uncategorized | 6 Comments

Post navigation

6 thoughts on “Progress update

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Judy is still in pain – crummy doctors. But, it sounds like relief is on the way. Wonderful. Good luck with your trip down south and keep us posted!

  2. Gary

    Oh the move! Yay!!!!!

  3. Gary

    “On” – “On”. Knuckleheaded typist…

  4. Said goodbye to Avila Beach and San Luis Bay at 0315 this morning. Watching awesome sunrise over terrain behind Point Arguella now (0710).

  5. Gary

    Forecast looks awesome!

    Today: NNW wind 10 to 15 kt, with gusts as high as 20 kt. Patchy fog before 11am. Mixed swell…NW 3 ft at 14 seconds and S 2 ft at 13 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

    Tonight: NNW wind 5 to 15 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell…NW 3 ft at 14 seconds and S 2 ft at 15 seconds. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft.

    Wednesday: N wind around 10 kt becoming WNW in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 15 kt. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mixed swell…WNW 4 ft at 14 seconds and S 2 ft at 13 seconds. Wind waves around 2 ft.

  6. Gary

    Well… The “swell” could be more “swell”. I love our language.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: