I did not make a posting yesterday when we anchored at Los Muertos because I just didn’t have the energy to turn on the equipment and do so. You’ll understand more if you read on. Milagro set anchor yesterday at Ensenada de Los Muertos at 1500 hours. Depth: 19′, Bottom: sand, Water temp: 84, Location: N23 59.322 W109 49.673.
It seems that Cabo San Lucas had a “parting gift” for our intrepid travelers, a bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract. Nice, eh?
While we are not at all certain, we think it began with a last minute snack ashore on Saturday night.
Sunday was a somewhat rowdy passage which provided a convenient explanation for the muscle and joint aches and general feeling of exhaustion that we both noticed on Monday. But, when diarrhea and nausea joined the symptoms on Tuesday, we figured out that something more was going on.
We both spent the time at Las Frailes trying to cope so didn’t enjoy the swimming, snorkeling and general sightseeing like we might have.
With no real improvement to our conditions, the passage on Wednesday to Ensenada de Los Muertos was challenging as neither of us had the energy to do much. Now, here at Muertos, there is plenty to see and do as it is a very nice anchorage with beautiful sand beaches some very upscale houses and a resort. We both seem to be on the mend but, besides an occasional swim, just like at Frailes, we are still laying very, very low. I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet but neither of us seems to be running to the head as much, the aches and pains have mostly subsided and the nausea doesn’t seem so frequently a concern. Michael even managed to eat a little food – the first in two days. Still, our energy levels are very low and we are sleeping a lot, Michael especially. Yes. I know. I should speak to the cruise director about getting some of my money back. This is no way to run a cruise!
The winds have finally backed off a bit. It took a little longer than originally forecast for them to do so but they have dropped down to 10 knots or less. That’s helpful when they are coming from directly on your nose and when, like here in the Sea of Cortez/Gulf of California, they have a long fetch with which to stir up the seas.
We are still following our original plan to move on to La Paz under cover of darkness tonight. It should take us about 10 ½ hours so we are aiming to weigh anchor about 2300 and head that way. That timing will give us a following tide for entering the La Paz estuary plus, we will arrive in full daylight. Both of those factors will be beneficial for us. Additionally, as Mark plans to fly home to California on Saturday, he will need to get an early start. Arriving La Paz in mid to late morning will allow him time to get ready for his early go the next morning.