Octave follow up
Just thought we should follow up on the problems mentioned in the last post.
The portable generator problem turned out to be a design feature, it wasn’t broken at all. It is designed to save itself from damage if the oil level gets too low by shutting itself down. A wee bit of oil had escaped through the crankcase vent as I wrestled it out of storage to use it but I had checked the oil level afterward and it found it very nearly full. It had initially run fine but along the way must have decided that the oil level was lower than it liked and so disabled the ignition and refused to run til I did something about it. I did check the oil level once more when trying to restart it but, again, found it almost completely full. Eventually, after working through all of the other possibilities I could come up with, I added more oil until this time it was trying to overflow out of the filler neck. This was apparently just what the machine was waiting for because it then started and ran just fine. Go Figure! So, here’s the learned lesson; If you have a Honda 2000 generator the oil level monitor is a picky rascal and will not be happy with anything less than full to the point of running out of the filler neck. Not close to full but full, full.
The instrumentation issue turned out to be a little more challenging. After a day and half of trouble shooting I finally found the bigger of the two problems. I determined that one of the connecting wire assemblies between the system’s CPU and the cockpit instruments had become shorted out, probably pinched somewhere along the way. I have run a temporary bypass wire and most everything is working again like it should. At least, the most important things. Still unsolved is why the device that converts NMEA 0183 signals to the NMEA 2000 protocol is not doing its job. The only stuff really missing without it is some system redundancy (#2 GPS antenna, for instance) but this is going to take more time and probably some outside help to figure out.
That’s it. The storm has passed and left beautiful weather in its wake – mostly light winds and mostly clear skies. Today and tomorrow is supposed to be a little blowy again so we will probably wait until Saturday to move on. Today we will do laundry again and top off the fuel tanks and otherwise make ready. We are more than ready for more remote anchorages and their clean, clear waters.