It is Tuesday, June 8, 2021 and everything is fine here. We moved almost 15 miles south today to Bahia Candeleros. We are parked in front of the Villa Del Palmar resort so I imagine Judy may have a “resort day” planned for our near future. We are set at 25 43′.395N, 111 14′.298W in 23′ over sand. The OAT is 90F and the pool 81F. The water is clear enough that we can see our anchor lying on the bottom. A 6kt breeze from the NE is helping to mitigate the 90 temp but all the cabin fans are running at max speed as well. Still, I think there’ll be some splashing around before much longer. Unless something comes along to change our minds, I reckon we will be here the remainder of this week. We are considering several options for the coming weekend and will let you know.
Author Archives: Michael
Today is Sunday, 6/6/21, and things here are OK. It has become HOT but otherwise OK. I’m a day behind as yesterday we moved from V-Cove to Pt. Nopolo. By Friday afternoon the bee activity in V-Cove had progressed from annoying to almost overwhelming so Saturday morning we bailed out. Conditions for several days have been almost zero wind with glassy, flat water so any moving about is a motorboat ride and that describes our passage yesterday. At 1158MDT our anchor was set once again in front of the Hotel at Loreto Bay at 25 55′.483N, 111 20′.758W in 25′ over a bottom of sand & mud. We are a bit further off shore than normal for us here because there were several other boats already here and parked on “our” spots. And, summer has clearly arrived to this neighborhood. The OAT was 89F and we saw 94F before the day was over. The pool was 82F but reached 84F in the afternoon. The steady drone of air conditioning is beginning to sound pretty appealing. Current thinking is to move tomorrow (Monday) down to Bahia Candeleros as the cell and wifi coverage here has become painfully slow for some reason – normally it is quite good. We will let you know.
Today is Thursday, 6/3/21 and all is well here. After a couple of days enjoying the amazing geology of Pto. La Lancha we moved less than 2 miles east to El Refugio, AKA V-Cove. It’s only large enough for one vessel and exhibits more of the impressive scenery seen at L Lancha, including several sea caves. We actually made 2 trips. After finding V-Cove already occupied we returned to La Lancho only to observe the V-Cove boat pass by just a few minutes later. We wasted no time getting the anchor up again and racing back before anyone else slipped in. And…we made it. So, at 1011hrs MDT, our anchor was finally set in V-Cove at 26 03′.509N, 111 05′.059W in 30′ over sand/gravel. The OAT is 84F, the pool is 78F and there is 6kts of breeze from the NE. If the bees here are not too much trouble we will stay a couple of days. If they’re obnoxious then we will move again tomorrow.
Here it is June already! How did that happen? Still, all is well here on Milagro. We have been staying put for a while now but today pried the anchor off the bottom and changed the scenery. Mill pond flat seas and winds <5kts meant we didnt sail but whadya do? We’ve landed on the north side of Isla Carmen at a spot we have never visited before. Our anchor is set in Puerto La Lancha at 26 03′.229N, 111 06′.197W in 22′ over sand. The OAT is 87F, the pool 79F and a SE breeze is running 6-9kts. Isla Carmen is notorious for their bee population with some anchorages being overrun by them. So far, they have made themselves known but haven’t been too bad. Fingers crossed that doesn’t change. What’s next? Don’t know, but we probably won’t stay here long. Stay tuned and we’ll let you know.
Today is 5/22/21 and all is well here. Today we moved north to join a group of friends at Isla Coronados, just north of Loreto. At 1541 our anchor was set in the NW anchorage of Isla Coronados at 26 06.651’N, 111 17.154’W in 28′ over sand. The OAT is 81F, the pool is 78F and there is a NW breeze running 6-8kts and bringing with it some NW swell into the anchorage. We will hang with our friends for the next several days and, at this writing, do not know when or where we will leave here for someplace else. We will keep you posted.
Today is Friday, 3/21/21 and everything here is fine. We moved a little bit further north this morning, landing in front of the Villa Del Palmar resort at Los Candeleros. L&V winds and flat seas gave us an uneventful motor passage. We are at 25 43.403’N, 111 14.198’W in 16′ over sand. The OAT is 81F, it’s 76F in the pool and there are 4kts of breeze from the NW. This stop puts us in the “greater Loreto area” which is where we will cruise until crossing back to San Carlos late in June. For now we have wifi internet from the resort as well as strong LTE cell signal so we’ll prolly be glued to our devices for a while as we catch up on the backlog of email, etc. Tomorrow we will move again to join up with more friends who are in a nearby anchorage. Of course, we will keep you posted.
It’s already Thursday, May 20,2021 and we’re doing fine here on the Milagro. Our week of buddy boating with friends has been a lot of fun but it has ended-far too soon. Today they began heading back towards La Paz to turn in their chartered boat on Saturday morning while we continued north toward the greater Loreto area. 15-17knot southerly winds early allowed us to sail dead downwind for much of the day. As we left the San Jose channel the wind fanned out, its strength decreasing as it did so, until we eventually had to turn to motoring. Our intended destination was Los Gatos but a low pass there confirmed that the south winds were causing enough swell right into the anchorage that we would have had a very uncomfortable night. Soooo…, keep on trucking we did. At 1818MDT our anchor was set off the middle beach at Bahia Agua Verde in 26′ over sand/gravel at 25 30.968’N, 111 03.989’W. The OAT is 87F (not liking THAT very much) and it’s 76F in the pool. Mountains here protect from southerly winds so it’s basically calm now. Tomorrow we will continue north and will advise where we decide to pitch our tent once we land. Hasta manana, y’all.
It is Tuesday, 5/18/21 and things are going well here. After exploring the area around our anchorage via kayak and dingy we upped anchors and made our way to Isla San Francisco. Very light winds from the NE meant no sailing but the flat water made for a perfect motor boat ride. At 1556 our anchor was set at 24 49.294’N, 110 34.121’W in 18′ of very clear water over sand. Water visibility here is about 25′ so the anchor is clearly visible where she’s set. OAT is 85F, the pool is 78F (I even gave it the spash test and it felt good enough to stay for a while. Yay!) and the NE breeze is now up to 8 knts. The talk on the the buddy boat is that they may stay put here tomorrow to enjoy some hiking and snorkeling so next report may be on Thursday. That’s also the day they will need to start back towards La Paz and we will say our goodbyes and continue north.
It is Tuesday, 5/18/21 and all is well here. I’m a day behind but all is well. Yesterday we moved about 5 miles north up the east side of Isla Espiritu Santo and landed on the east side of the well known and very popular anchorage at Caleta Partida. Daily winds have been light and variable before becoming 12-15kts from the WSW during the night. High daytime temps in the mid80’s and the pool temp ranges from 74 to 77. Our friends aboard their rented catamaran are setting the travel itinerary, it’s THEIR vacation after all, and at this moment we don’t know yet if they’ve decided to move along today or stay here to explore and play. Currently we are at 24 32.069’N, 110 21.761’W anchored in 17′ over sand at El Portico. Whether we move today or tomorrow, i’ll update our location when we do. Probably 🙂
It is Sunday, 16May21 and all is well here on the Milagro. Got out of the marina this morning and, as planned, joined up with our friends who on their charter boat. After an uneventful passage that even included a little actual sailing, we are anchored now on the east side of Isla Espiritu Santo at the unamed cove we call Liahona Cove. The Liahona’s introduced us to it in 2019 so that’s what we call it. At 1400MDT our anchor was set at 24 29.290’N, 110 18.299’W in 20′ over sand/gravel. The OAT is 81F and it’s 73F in the pool. A brief dip determined that the little string of pearl stinging jellyfish are present so wear your full body suits, kids. Wind is NW to NE at 4 to 7 knts. Tomorrow will find us somewhere a little north of here as they explore the area. Hasta manana.