Today is Wednesday, 4/20/22 and all is well here. Very well, in fact. And, we have so much to tell you. As advertised, we did spend several weeks on the mooring in La Paz while doing all of the usual things we do there, connecting with friends and eating our way across town. We also did something there we do not usually do. We began talking about long term plans. Some time ago we determined that 2022-23 would likely be our last cruising season but these new conversations included market considerations along with the usual, such as our current ages and the declining health concerns that come with that. To shorten the story, we decided to test the market and offer Milagro for sale. We were rather surprised at the response we got simply from word of mouth and a posting in a Catalina 42 FB group. Many inquiries quickly followed, including 2 formal offers. Both were very good though slightly different but we had to chose one. The other then asked if their offer could stand as a back up should the chosen one fall apart. We were a little surprised at the overall response. And…just like that, the good ship Milagro has been sold. We left LP this morning on our way to San Carlos where we will off load our personal effects. We’ll then return Milagro to LP where her new owner will take over. This, then, is Milagro’s farewell tour. Tonight we are at Point San Telmo where it was 78F and wind SSW @8 when we landed. Anchor is set in 25′ at 19.890’N, 110 57.546’W in 12′ over sand. Tomorrow we move on into the greater Loreto area so stay tuned to learn where we land. Hasta entonces…
Author Archives: Michael
Today is Wednesday, Mar 30, 2022 and things are good with Milagro and crew. As expected, we spent 3 weeks stateside while Milagro chilled at the La Cruz Marina. We returned on Mar 9 and did a few boat chores while watching the weather for a chance to dash for the Baja. Several weeks passed with no such opening and it was now time for the annual Banderas Bay Regatta. Participating in that event was good friend Patsy on her Gulfstar 50, Talion. Since we were nearby, Patsy insisted I crew and even found a parking spot for Milagro at Paradise Village, the host marina. So, there we went. After 1 practice day we ran races 3 days in a row. Despite a very poor performance on race day 1, by the end of the event we had managed to pull off a 2nd place finish in our class. Pretty cool. By that time the weather offered an opening and we left for the Baja a few hours after finishing the last race. After 54 hrs of motoring over flat, windless seas, we landed at Ensenada de Los Muertos about midnight on Monday, 28 March. After 2 relaxing days here waiting for another blast of N wind to pass thru, we will continue on to La Paz at dawn tomorrow. There we will take the mooring and spend a few weeks. Currently it is 77F, 66% humid, pool is 70F (brrr) and there’s a N breeze of 15kts gusting to 20. I do have some photos to post to the website if ever I have suitable bandwidth to do so. Hasta pronto.
Today is Tuesday, 15 February, 2022 and all is well here. And just where is “here” you may well ask. Yes, as you may have suspected, I have missed a few posts. I’ll try to catch us up now. We spent a full month in the marina at Grand Isla Resort, Barra de Navidad while reaquainting ourselves with the cute little town of Barra. It had been at least 4 yrs since our last visit. We had been planning to head back norh for almost 2 weeks but the N winds just would not settle enough to do so. Until now. While conditions were way less than ideal it was the best weather window to come along with nothing better for at least another week. So we battened the hatches and untied the dock lines. The N winds were predicted to be untenable again by Wed morning so we chose to push right on through to Banderas Bay without stopping. 126nm @ 5.5kts planned makes it a 23hr flight and that’s nearly exactly what we got. Conditions were mostly fine however we had about 6hrs of 15kt headwinds with the resulting sea state making for a lot of pitching and sea spray. That ended as we passed Cabo Corrientes so all in all, the passage wasn’t bad. At 0715 our anchor was set outside the marina at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle at 20 44.933’N, 105 21.849’W in 25′ over sand. The OAT is 71F with 70% humidity. It’s 77F in the pool with a 2kt breeze from the NNE. Plans are still being debated but Judy needs to go to States for a bit and I may go with. If so, we’ll park Milagro in one of the marinas. If not, I’ll stay right here with Milgro. Either way, Milagro will hang out here until heading back to La Paz in a month, or so.
My apologies y’all. This morning I attempted to add photos to some older posts but, obviously, I don’t know what I’m doing and managed to mess things up discovering that factoid. First of all, the bandwidth here turns out to be insufficient for uploading photos. Then, somehow, a post from December, 2021, moved up to become the most recent post. Now, I don’t seem to be able to undo it. <sigh>
In a few days we will relocate to where I hope to see much better internet access so will see about revisiting this issue at that time. In the meantime, there is nothing new added to that December post – now dated January 11. It’s just conveniently out of order. Sorry.
Greetings everyone. I know it’s been a long time with no updates. Sorry. And by now it is also clear to you that I failed to follow through with my threat to keep updates coming during our summer break. I don’t suppose you’re not surprised, are you? Well, we ARE back on Milagro. Yay!
After returning to her in San Carlos in mid-Nov we quickly made our way to Marina de La Paz where we have been busy with projects since arriving. New LiFePo4 batteries, chaps for the dingy and much more. Our plan is to start our passage tomorrow to La Cruz (Banderas Bay) and what will begin our winter cruising along the mainland of MX. It has been 4 years since last we visited those cruising grounds so this should be fun. Regular updates should resume, if nothing else, those that copy from our position updates via Farkwar.com.
BTW, on the right side margin of this home page is a box labeled “Tracking Milagro”. The links there will take you to our Garmin inReach breadcrumb trail and to our Farwar.com page where the location of each post is displayed on a Google map. Hasta pronto, y’all.
It is Sunday, 1/10/22, and all is well here. After a quiet overnight at Chamela we set out for Bahia Tenacatita, about 30nm south and a very popular winter anchorage for many cruisers. Winds L&V over mostly mill pond seas made for a comfortable passage. We spied a small pod of whales also moving south, and one of them treated us to a Sea World style leaping show. We also caught our first fish of the season. Sadly, although a very sporty fighter, the Jack Crevalle we landed is unsuitable for eating so we tossed him back. Not long after anchoring we had another whale experience when a female gave birth to a calf right in the anchorage and no more than 50yds off our bow. Several dolphin have also patrolled through. We are at 19 18.030’N, 104 50.143’W in 32 over sand. It is 100% overcast with high level stratus, the OAT is 80F, 75% humid, its 80F in the pool. The wind has been NW at 10 but has now shifted to SW. We intend to remain here until the 15th when we will move a few more miles south into the marina at Barra de Navidad.
Today is Saturday, 1/8/22 and things here are great. We left Puerto Vallarta yesterday evening to make the 108nm passage to Bahia Chamela on our way further south to Tenacatita and eventually Barra de Navidad. The route traverses Cabo Corrientes, the Point Conception of this part of the world. That is, often nasty wind and sea conditions. However,light & variable winds were forecast along with reasonable seas for us. And that is exactly what we found, making for an uneventful passage. At 0935CST we set the anchor in front of the village of Perula in Bahia Chamela in 26′ over sand at 19 35.046’N, 105 07.897’W. The OAT is 80F, the pool 77F, the wind and sea are both calm. We are buddy boating with friends on the MV Mystic Eyes who have been joined for this trip by former boaters and close friends so its a bit of a social event everywhere we go. Especially so as the ladies are part of Judy’s card playing posse. Tomorrow we continue on the anchorage at Tenacatita.
It is Christmas Eve 2021 and all is good here on the Milagro. We have just completed our passage from the Baja to mainland MX and are now secured in Paradise Village Marina, Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit. OAT is 86F with 67% humid so feels a bit uncomfortably tropical. Smart sailors know the best time to be out in windy conditions is as those winds begin and before they have stirred up the seas too much. The worst time is at the end of the blow when they are subsiding as it takes a couple of days for the seas to settle. I reckon o one is going to accuse us of being “smart sailors”. So, the first 24 hrs of our passage were a fairly sporty ride. We expected exactly that so were well prepared. Then the wind slowly tapered off to become <5kts and the sea eventually responded as well. Consequently, the last 24 hrs were perfect power boat conditions. Er, but don’t we have a sailboat? <sigh> We have not done this crossing since 2017 and have never moored at this marina. It’s part of a giant resort hotel complex with many, many amenities so it may be fun to explore. You can find us here for at least the next 2 weeks when we intend to move further south as the wx permits. Good wifi and cell coverage here. Merry Christmas y’all!!
Today is Saturday, 12/18/21 and all is well here on the Milagro. Today we slipped the lines and got ourselves out of the marina. Under way at 0700 we beat against 15kt N winds to get out of La Paz Bay before turning SE into the San Lorenzo channel where we found winds 20-25G28 with 3′-4’seas under wind chop. Pretty sporting conditions which made moving about the boat difficult and risky. Happy to have that behind us we dropped the anchor at 1610 in Bahia de los Muertos (Bay of the Dead) with 23kts still blowing. We are at 23 59.296’N, 109 49.576’W in 30’over sand. The OAT is 77F, the pool is 76F and the blessed wind is still blowing 23kts. Not sure just how long we are here as we assess the uncooperative weather to choose the timing of our next move. If we are smart that probeably means Wed, Dec22 but I’m not certain we’re that smart. Standby and we’ll see.
Today is Wednesday, 16June21, and all is well here. We can even stop grousing about the heat and humidity – for now. Not that there isn’t plenty of both. It’s just that we did make the move to San Carlos and are now plugged in to shore power at Marina Real. With the A/C now running full blast we can hide from the nasty ole heat and humidity. Our passage was the usual mixed bag of conditions. The first 12 hours was a brilliant sail on smooth water. However, the wind then went away and the sea turned itself into washing machine type waters: choppy and confused. The wind never did return in any usable fashion though the seas did finally settle about 6 hours later, with the dawn. Milagro is settled at 27 56.751’N, 111 05.546’W. When we landed the OAT was 89F(it’s 95F as I write this), the pool 85F and the humidity 71%. Wind SSE@9. We will putz around here for a week, or so, as we do a few chores and make Milagro ready to be left alone for a few months. We have good wifi and cell coverage so maybe (just, maybe) I will get around to adding some photos to the recent posts on the blog site (www.milagro42.com). Thanks for coming along with us during this very much shortened cruising season.