It is Thursday, June 13, 2019 and all is mostly well here on the Milagro. Since the last post on June 3rd we completed our family visit and stay at the Villa Del Palmar resort on June 8 and have resumed our “normal” life. We moved Milagro out of the mooring field at Puerto Escondido on the 9th in favor of returning to Point Nopolo. Pto. Nopolo for all of the reasons I’ve ‘splained here before. Now there are several days of fairly strong SE winds forecast so we moved today to the protection of Bahia Marquer on the SW side of Isla Carmen. We are now set at 25 52.148’N, 111 13.070’W in 23′ over sand. The OAT is currently 87F, the pool is 80F with about 20’ visibility and the wind is SE at 10 to 12 kts. The island is upwind so we’re sitting on flat water pretty much no matter how hard it may blow. Considering the Wx forecast, we will likely stay here until Monday at least. I’ll explain the “mostly well” from line 1. Several days ago Judy tweaked a muscle or combination of them, across her shoulders at the base of her neck. She has been in great pain and barely able to move. We found our TENS unit no longer working so have borrowed one from nearby friends and THAT seems to be helping a lot. Today she is much improved giving us hope that she can put this behind her soon.
Author Archives: Michael
Fresh off of my success in posting the first video, I am having a go at another. This was taken May 5th, 2019 on the East side of Isla San Francisco by our friends on the SV Liahona. The video begins with the Liahona filling the frame then the drone backs away to reveal Milagro anchored behind and continues climbing until both the East and West anchorages are visible. You can see Bret standing on his foredeck operating the drone controls as the video gets started.
For a week now, since last Saturday, June 2, we have been staying at the Villa Del Palmar resort along with our son Chip and his family as well as his mother-in-law, Deborah Spear. Villa Del Palmar is located on the shore at Bahia Candeleros about 25 miles South of Loreto. During this week we’ve taken them day sailing where the kids kayaked with sea turtles, dolphins and jumping Mobula Rays. There was a sortie up into the mountains to visit the Mision San Javier as well as a wee bit of shopping in Loreto for a few trinkets. Of course, we also did some hanging out poolside at the resort while Roberto kept our drinks full. Deborah was so taken by her first visit to Mexico and this property that she bought a time share here. Another first for her. That whole gang flies home tomorrow and we return to our normal lives aboard the good ship Milagro.
Today is June 3, 2019 and we are in the middle of a shore excursion. On Saturday, the 2nd, we left Milagro secured to a mooring at Puerto Escondido and joined family for a week long stay at the Villa Del Palmar resort. This is about 25 miles South of Loreto at Bahia Candeleros. We have posted ourselves anchored here many times and many times have also commented on our day visits to the resort. This time, however, we are actually staying at the hotel and, of course, it’s quite a different experience. I think the last time we stayed here was in May, 2016 when we met fellow cruisers Gary and Angie Livers on the SV Nivasi. They currently live aboard Nivasi in Anacortes, WA while they plot their escape.
We have already recorded many moments with the kids and grandkids engaged in various activities here but I don’t intend to bore you with those photos. They look very much like many you have probably taken yourselves of your family at one place or another so, in effect, you’ve seen them already. In addition, I’m sure there will be plenty of that sort of thing on the family’s various FB accounts.
What I AM going to do is attempt to post my first ever video of the first ever drone footage of Milagro at anchor. If I am successful you will see Milagro anchored on the East side of Isla Espiritu Santo at Liahona Cove along with our friends, Bret and Marne of the SV Liahona. They have the drone and took the footage when we were there on May 4th of this year. Yes, the cove is the same name as their boat and here’s why: None of the charts we’ve referenced show a name for this cove and since it was the Liahona’s who “discovered” it and shared it with us, we are calling it their cove. So, there you go.
It is Monday, May 27, 2019 an all is well here. We’ve moved today into the harbor at Puerto Escondido. This is where we will leave Milagro next week while we join family coming down for a resort stay and we chose today to arrive in order to spend time with friends of ours who are here now. Milagro will be moored here until June 8th or 9th. At 1255 MDT we secured a mooring at 25 49.458’N, 111 18.537’W in 44′ of 78F water. The OAT is 81F and there is a 5kt breeze from the NE. I plan to make an update when we leave and when we return but, should I get distracted and fail to do that, you’ll now have some idea of what we are up to.
Today is Saturday, May 25, 2019 and we’re just fine here on the fairly good ship Milagro. As per my speculation on Thursday, we folded our tent today and vacated the anchorage at Rattlesnake Beach. It was our first visit to that spot and it turned out to be quite nice. We were surprised to find fair LTE cell service there, apparently from a tower somewhere south of it, as Puerto Escondido cell service ranges from notoriously horrible to nonexistent. Lucky us. So, where did we end up today? I’m almost embarrassed to tell you that we’ve returned to Point Nopolo. What is so special about Pt. Nopolo? There are actually several attractive features but at the top of that list is bugs-the biting/stinging kind. There just aren’t any. Judy is such a magnet for biting/stinging insects that she can be eaten alive while no one around her gets bitten at all. So, there’s that. Additionally, there is a nice sandy beach, a welcoming hotel with pool and restaurant, (several other restaurants are also within easy walking distance), there are 2 mini-markets within walking distance, there is convenient trash disposal, and OK kayaking and snorkeling. Add strong LTE cell signal and decent internet from the hotel and what’s not to like? While it is not safe to park here in some weather conditions (see our last post), when the weather IS suitable it is very appealing. The forecast weather indicates great conditions for the next several days so, here we are.
It is Thursday, May 23, 2019 and all is well on the Milagro. At least, it is now. Today was not a planned moving day but it did turn into one. The wind forecast led us to expect a few hours of NE winds, mostly 10kts with gusts close to 15, before settling down and shifting in the late afternoon. From the NE our anchorage is exposed so we were prepared for several hours of lumpy conditions. However…..in the span of an hour, we went from 8kts to 15 gusting to 20 and the seas from small wind waves to 3′ to 4′ breaking waves all around us. Time to get out of Dodge, Campers. It was especially sporting weighing anchor while the bow was being buried by incoming waves. I don’t believe I need to do that again. At least our “fire drill” was conducted in daylight. Several times in the past week other cruisers have been blown out of their anchorages in the middle of the night by these crazy winds that refuse to adhere to the forecasts. After considering our anchorage options we chose to head south and hide behind the hills at the entrance to Puerto Escondido and that is where we are comfortably lying now. At 1253MDT our anchor was set off Rattlesnake Beach just South of the entrance to Puerto Escondido at 25 48.161’N, 111 18.526’W in 53′ over gravel/sand. The OAT is 74F, it is 77F in the pool and the wind is NW at 10 to 12kts. Here in the lee of nearby hills the water is flat. We’ll view tomorrows wind forecast through jaundiced eyes before making our next move but our current thinking is we’ll likely stay put tomorrow and bust out on Saturday. Stay tuned.
It is Tuesday, May 21, 2019 and everything is fine here on the Milagro. After several days enjoying Puerto Ballandra and the company of our friends we left there today and took up station once again at Point Nopolo. The same environmental conditions that gave much of the Southwest U.S. very winterlike weather recently gave us rough seas and strong winds. Ballandra is well protected from weather in every direction except West so it was good timing for us to be there. Today those conditions here began to improve as the system moves out of our area with strong Westerly winds forecast to follow. Nopolo is well positioned for those westerlies so here we are. Again. At 1117MDT today our anchor was set in front of the Hotel Loreto Bay at 25 55.479’N, 111 20.847’W in 13′ over sand. the OAT is 76F, the pool is 77F and there is 8kts of breeze from the East. Although the strong NE winds have died the sea is still quite stirred up giving us a very lumpy ride over from Isla Carmen and now continues to provide some wind chop on top of a close spaced 1′ swell. We are pointed into it but, until this settles completely, we’ve a bit of a rocking horse ride. We don’t yet have “what’s next” plans but we’ll be here for at least several days and will surely come up with something in that time. Hasta entonces……(until then)
It is Friday, May 17, 2019 and everything is fine here on the Milagro. We weighed anchor this morning leaving Point Nopolo behind in favor of Puerto Ballandra on Isla Carmen, about 12nm East from Nopolo and Loreto. We have friends who love Ballandra and spend much of their time anchored there. While we don’t love Ballandra the way they do we wanted to enjoy their company for a few days so we’ll have a visit then move along. It was a motorboat ride for us as we needed to run our engine to make water anyway and that process consumed most of the time it took to cover the short distance. Our anchor is set at 26 01.178’N, 111 09.960’W in 35′ over mixed sand and gravel. The OAT is 80F and the pool, with about 20′ of visibility, is 78F. The wind is from the NE at 11kts gusting to 18 but our spot is well protected from wind in that direction so we’re sitting on flat water. We’ll be back in a couple of days with the next update.
It is Wednesday, May 15, 2019 and everything here is good although I reckon it’s time for a Farkwar update. We’ve been in the same spot at Point Nopolo since our last report on May 8th but there just hasn’t been much to say. You may recall that we’ve planted our anchor here in the past and then just stayed and stayed and it seems we’re doing it again. Although, yesterday, we broke the anchor free and dashed the 5.5nm North to Loreto as we needed some fresh provisions and to have some laundry done. We did get all of that done then met last evening with boating friends on their way driving from La Paz back to the US. It was a pretty full day and a successful one, as well. After a peaceful night on the Loreto waterfront we returned again to Point Nopolo this morning and are parked once more on nearly the very same spot as before. We have boating friends staying at a relative’s home here in Nopolo and we’re joining them tonight for dinner after they enjoyed a particularly fruitful day of fishing. Judy may be less exited than I am at the prospect of a fresh fish dinner but she says she’s game. Then, she says she needs internet (we have a good source here) tomorrow night after which she says I can consider relocating. With that in mind, we reckon to move on Friday, East across Loreto Bay to Bahia Ballandra on Isla Carmen and hang out there for a while. So, that’s our update from Nopolo. More in a couple of days.
Today is Wednesday, May 8, 2019 and everything is just fine here. Today we made a leisurely passage North from Candeleros to Punto Nopolo, just a few miles South of Loreto. There is a beautiful sand beach here backed by a community of condos and the Hotel at Loreto Bay. Several restaurants are within easy walking distance, there’s great snorkeling around the point and kayaking up a little estuary where you paddle your way through an attractive golf course. There’s no weather protection from anything coming from an Easterly direction so it’s definitely NOT an all weather anchorage but it’s great otherwise. Light Easterlies and mill pond flat water this morning moved us slowly along under our light air head sail and main in what we would call idyllic conditions. At 1354MDT our anchor was set at 25 55.472’N, 111 20.855’W in 12′ over sand. the OAT is 82F and it’s 77F in the pool which is kinda greenish with poor visibility. Not really “yucky” but not quite inviting like it usually is either. There’s a SE breeze running at 6kts and a small Easterly swell moving the boat around just a little. Our sky is clear. We expect to hang out here for a couple of days though how much more than “a couple” we don’t know yet. Good cell coverage here and we’re working on getting internet – I suppose THAT could influence when we leave as much as anything else. 🙂 Hasta pronto, y’all.